By William Deverell, Greg Hise
This Companion comprises 25 unique essays by way of writers and students who current a professional review of the easiest and most crucial paintings so far at the advanced historical past of Los Angeles.
- The first Companion supplying a historic survey of la, incorporating severe, multi-disciplinary issues and leading edge scholarship
- Features essays from various disciplines, together with heritage, political technological know-how, cultural stories, and geography
- Photo essays and ‘contemporary voice’ sections mix with conventional historiographic essays to supply a multi-dimensional view of this vivid and numerous city
- Essays hide the main issues within the box inside a thematic constitution, together with demography, social unrest, politics, pop culture, structure, and concrete studies
Read or Download A Companion to Los Angeles PDF
Similar state & local books
Historians have frequently glorified eighteenth-century Virginia planters' philosophical debates concerning the that means of yankee liberty. yet in keeping with Noeleen McIlvenna, the real exemplars of egalitarian political values had fled Virginia's plantation society overdue within the 17th century to create the 1st winning eu colony within the Albemarle, in present-day North Carolina.
In a method akin to the grasp storytellers of yore, Charless Caraway recounts the tale of his lifestyles, as a guy and a boy, on small farms in Saline and Jackson counties, really round Eldorado, Makanda, and Etherton swap. He makes no bones concerning the hardships of these "old days," first assisting his father eke out a dwelling from the land, then scrambling for a residing as a sharecropper and fruit picker, as he scrimped and kept for the day whilst he and his younger spouse, Bessie Mae Rowan Caraway, may well purchase a section of land in their personal.
Ebook by means of Ezell, John Samuel
What relatively occurred in Mrs. OLearys barn that autumn evening in Chicago? notwithstanding not anyone is familiar with evidently, what's convinced is an individual, or whatever, all started a load of hay on fireplace, and town of Chicago might by no means be an identical. the nice Chicago fireplace of 1871 raged for greater than 24 hours, obliterating the downtown and sparking a mass exodus to the prairies and lake.
- The 50 Greatest Plays in New York Giants Football History
- The San Francisco Mime Troupe Reader
- The Texas War of Independence 1835–1836
- W. C. McKern and the Midwestern Taxonomic Method
- The Sagebrush State: Nevada's History, Government, and Politics
- The Culture Broker: Franklin D. Murphy and the Transformation of Los Angeles
Extra info for A Companion to Los Angeles
Berkeley: University of California Press. , 1984. Indian-Mexican Cultural Exchange in the Los Angeles Area, 1781–1834. Aztlan, 15 (1), pp. 123–44. , 1998. The Census of 1790: A Demographic History of Colonial California. Menlo Park, CA: Ballena Press Anthropological Papers, 45. Miranda, G. , 1988. Racial and Cultural Dimensions of Gente de Razón Status in Mexican California. Southern California Quarterly, 70 (September), pp. 265–78. , 1990. Thrown Among Strangers: The Making of Mexican Culture in Frontier California.
Boston Hide Droughers Along California Shores. California Historical Society Quarterly, 8 (4), pp. 288–305. Osio, Antonio María, 1996 . The History of Alta California: A Memoir of Mexican California. R. M. Beebe and R. M. Senkewicz, trans. and eds. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. Palomares, José and Carrillo, José Antonio, to José de la Guerra, Los Angeles, March 10, 1825. De la Guerra Papers, folder 766, Santa Barbara Mission Archive-Library, Santa Barbara, California. Phillips, G.
Orange County: County of Orange Library System. Hutchinson, C. , 1969. Frontier Settlement in Mexican California: The HíjarPadres Colony and Its Origins 1769–1835. New Haven: Yale University Press. , 1976. A New Look at the Founding of Old Los Angeles. California Historical Quarterly, 55 (4), pp. 326–39. , 1986. The Spanish American Revolutions 1808–1826. New York: Norton. , 1996. The First Angelinos: The Gabrielino Indians of Los Angeles. Banning: Malki Museum Press. , 1995. Peasant and Nation: The Making of Postcolonial Mexico and Peru.